The bf1systems internal torque measurement system is an unobtrusive, two channel high precision system, capable of monitoring the torque applied to the drive, input or prop shafts of competition vehicles, to a very high accuracy and in aggressive environments.
The miniaturised design of the system allows the sensor electronics to be mounted internally to the shaft, so there are no undesirable aerodynamic effects and the system is effectively invisible. There is also the option to externally mount the electronics if this better suits the requirements.
The signals from the shaft are transmitted using RF to a receiver aerial mounted in close proximity to the shaft. The special protocol used allows for high data rates and excellent noise immunity.
The sensor/transmitter assembly will operate from its internal battery for at least 300 hours and automatically switches into a low power standby mode when the torque remains below a pre-defined threshold. The unit will re-activate when the torque applied to the shaft increases above a pre-determined level. Diagnostic channels have been introduced into the design, these include: shaft serial number, shaft temperature from last outing, shaft battery condition, integral offset and maximum and minimum torque from last outing.
The strain gauging and assembly techniques applied to the shaft have been specially developed by bf1systems to produce a gauge installation which is by far the most accurate and robust available and allows temperature effects, hysteresis and offset shifts to be kept to remarkably low levels. To achieve these performance figures special techniques need to be applied to the shaft conditioning, we offer a service for this consultation.
Due to the unique nature of each customer’s installation, our in-house design team will possibly recommend modifications to the existing shafts. This could include the recommendation of gauge location, insertion of holes to feed wires from the inside and changes to shaft diameter or wall thickness to improve the measurement accuracy.
- Internal Battery: In excess of 1 year standby, 300 hours operational.
- Thermal zero shift 0.006 %FSO/°C
- Thermal sensitivity shift 0.002 %FSO/°C
- Maximum operating temperature 120°C
- The customer can modify variables such as the switch on voltage, shutdown time and wake-up level at time of order.
- As the system is a bespoke design all parameters can be varied to suit the customers’ requirements
- 9 – 18 Volt supply range
- Supply current <60mA
- Full Scale Output 0-5V
- Combined non-linearity, hysteresis and repeatability <1%
- Maximum sample rate 300Hz
- Resolution 12 bits
- Internal low-pass Butterworth filter, Bandwidth (-3dB) 290Hz